Friday, October 27, 2006

Missing Delhi's yummy Street Food

Just yesterday I came across this community on Orkut on Eating Out in Delhi and in that a thread on the most famous Street Food at joints across the city. Ever since my salivary glands have been working overtime and my brain reminiscing to come up with my own list of the foods I once relished and now miss sooooooo much ...

1) The best magaz curry(brain curry) at Kake da dhaba in CP. The chicken makhani and dal fry are just as good - a culinary delight !!

2) Fish fry at Rajinder da dhaba (also known as Kamal da dhaba) at Safderjung Enclave just behind the once Kamal cinema hall. After having tasted a dozen types of fish, I still can't get ovet the taste of this one complete with the nimbu, chatni and the spl masala.

3) Ultimate pyaz kachoris at Kailash colony famous mithai wala whose name totally eludes me at this point of time, starts with an A as far as I recollect. Will have u craving for more.

4) Chhole bhature at Nagpal in lajpat Nagar IV - National park or Vikram Vihar or is it Amar Colony itself - not sure. Equally scrumptious were the aloo and dal samosas complete with kajus and kishmish - heavenly !!

5) Of course the inimitable Chandni Chowk - have a very fond memory attached with this place. Went there with some college friends to look for some books - came back with a bloated tummy - thanks to the desi ghee gulab jammuns and jalebis, Standard dahi bhallas, kachori subzi and much more - and no books :)

6) The most amazing rasmalai and milk cake at Gopala's in Amar colony - toothsome and tonguesome and mouthsome and simply irresistible !!

7) Golgappas and papri chaat and aloo chatt of any whatever place in Delhi !! They were all so good and the best part was the inverse proportion between hygeine and taste - really I mean it - all Dilliwalas will agree with me on this one !!

Oh my do I miss these !!! The worst part being my digestive immunity, so to say, which has gone for a complete toss after just about 3 years of staying in the US. The last time I visited Delhi in Feb this year, I was ashamed of my system turning from a total 'kankad hazam patthar hazam' till 2 years back to one which conked out at as much as one chomp of a chicken tikka or a nibble of a papdi outside of home. Disgraceful indeed !! Wonder when am I going to go back to devouring endlessly all these and much more of delish, luscious, zestful FOOD !!

No comments: